The Adventures of Gabriel Celtic

The Adventures of Gabriel Celtic

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Excerpt from Gabriel's Revenge, due out in December 2011

Gabby looks over at me as we lay behind the temporary barrier, her grimy face soaked in sweat. Although she seemed composed considering the danger we were in, she also appeared more worried then I had ever seen my young friend before.

Looking quickly over the pile of tables we were hiding behind, she ducked back down just as fast when she detected movement across the room. Looking at me once more, she seems frustrated as she says “I’m drawing a blank Gabe, got any cool tricks up your sleeve?”

Already wracking my brain for a solution, Gabby’s developing uncertainty drove me to look for a new angle.

“How many bullets you have left?” I questioned, waiting while she pulled the clip on her S&W.

“Four,” she answered quietly, “why?”

“I’ve got a plan, if it draws them out, can you take them?”

“Sure, but how do you know it will work?”

“I know you’re not from around here kid,” I whisper as I check the clip on my own weapon, “but around here, we have a saying. We use it when we are trying to be bold, and it usually lands us in a colossal mess, or makes us look like a genius.”

She snickered in spite of herself, looking over at me with the grin I had grown so accustomed to.

“And what, may I ask is this proverbial saying that is only known to you native Hoosiers?”

Pulling my knees up under me as I prepare to move quickly, I sneak a peak above the tables for a quick look before giving her a wink. Cocking my Glock, I utter “Hold my beer and watch this!”

No comments:

Post a Comment