The Adventures of Gabriel Celtic

The Adventures of Gabriel Celtic

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

A Death That Made a Difference


My third novel comes out soon, it's called, In Case of Death.

I came up with the title over a year ago, thinking it was very classy and very pertinent to my story line.

Little did I know how personal the title would become to me...

You see, one of my sons took his life during the writing of this novel...and it of course changed the way I looked at things.

I thought about quitting...I thought about throwing the book in the trash...I thought about a lot of things...

Although I did quit writing on it for a few months, I started to feel a nagging at my soul to finish it...and I think it was my son that was doing the nagging.

Tristan was never one to leave something alone!

As it ended up, I believe he helped me finish the story, and I dedicated this book to his memory...as well as his nagging.

Here is the dedication to In Case of Death:
 Dedication

I would like to dedicate this book to my son, Tristan Lewis, who took his life during the writing of this story. While I work at living in a world of fiction,he could never find a reality that suited him. The chemical balance that determines in all of us if we are considered ‘normal’ never quite balanced with him, and he could simply not live with that reality any longer.
To say that his passing has changed me would be an understatement. For one, the writing of this novel ceased for at least three months as I fought a conflict within myself over the importance of creating entertaining fiction versus that of the loss of a loved one.
How important could it be anyway? Tristan didn’t even like to read!
Months later, when I finally let myself read through what I had already written, it struck me that he would have loved the story if it had been a movie.
He would have declared it AWESOME!
So I started writing again, though with a renewed purpose. Even though finishing the book would not bring back my son, I felt the need to finish the story once again…for him! With Tristan now looking over my shoulder, we breezed through the evolving mystery and action sequences until we had a story worthy of a movie for him.
Even though I still miss him every day, bringing this book to a conclusion has in many ways, helped me to heal. And as I picture him sitting down to finally watch the movie that played out in my head, a snack and a beer beside him, I see him clicking the remote and leaning back with a smile.
“This is gonna be AWESOME!”

12 comments:

  1. Good Luck with your new book! As I have a daughter who has medical problems, your post touched my heart. Life is sometimes hard to endure, but it sounds as if you've got a handle on it now. Keep writing, it does help heal at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you D.G., sometimes getting lost in fiction is the best way to heal! :)

      Delete
  2. JT, This is such a touching tribute to your son. my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and as always, I wish you the best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandy! Your prayers are most welcome and appreciated.

      Delete
  3. a hard thing to hear but important to read and I'm glad you wrote on - I lost my mother in the same way - and a writer up here, Rudy Wiebe (The Blue Mountains of China) lost his son as he wrote just as you lost yours - I'm sorry, JT - I can only encourage you to write as well as you possibly can for everyone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Murray, I appreciate your thoughts and agree that writing is the best therapy.

      Delete
  4. So powerful, poignant and heartfelt. So brave of you to write. Thank you from my heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen...it was hard...took me almost a year to get here, and I will be dealing with it on many levels for a long time. I've had to spend many months trying to make sense of it, so when my thoughts finally came together, I had to write it. So...not so brave as maybe thankful and relieved to be where I am now :) Let's hope I can continue to heal :)

      Delete
  5. Jennifer BrackneyApril 30, 2013 at 9:52 PM

    I know Tristan would be proud of you and so am I.

    ReplyDelete